SunstarTV Bureau: Eight children were taken ill after consuming poisonous fruits at an Anganwadi centre near Manneguda village under Sindhrimal block in the district on Wednesday.
All the children admitted to the Malkangiri District Headquarters Hospital are stated to be out of danger. Six among the children are girls and the rest are boys.
According to reports, the parents of the children alleged that due to the negligence of the Anganwadi workers, the children consumed poisonous jatropha fruits that are found near the centre.
“The Anganwadi workers don’t keep a watch on our children. They are often busy preparing food and neglect our children,” alleged the mother of a child.
She said the children developed symptoms and started vomiting after returning home, following which the parents of the children took them to the hospital. All of them are reportedly stable now.
“All the children were in critical condition. Their parents did a great job by admitting them at the hospital in time. They responded to the treatment well and all of them are safe now,” said a doctor at the Malkangiri District Headquarters Hospital.
Meanwhile, the villagers have demanded stern action against the concerned Anganwadi workers for the criminal negligence.
Earlier, According to the new guidelines issued by the Odisha government, all the Anganwadi centres across the State were reopen from February 1, 2021.